Thursday, August 16, 2012

Big Rocks: Another Perspective

This big rocks in a jar thing is everywhere. In fact, Andy Stanley even used it in his video message "At Capacity" that we showed in Common Ground Sunday. I had not watched the DVD before I prepared my message. When we started it, I was horrified at first: "Oh no! People are going to think I stole this from Andy!" But then I thought, "No, this is good. Might even be a God thing. We need to get this, and that takes hearing it more than once."

(By the way, I loved the way Andy summarized his message: Priority determines capacity. He has such a great way of stating his main point in one catchy, memorable sentence.)

While I was searching the web for a picture to use in the last post, I came across a blog post entitled, Why Covey's Big Rocks Illustration is WRONG!  I thought, "Wrong? Oh man, I better check this out! Have I led my congregation astray??"

As it turned out, the blog author made a very similar point to the one I made in my message. Sometimes you do what you're supposed to do, you put the big rocks in first, and everything still doesn't fit. Little rocks still fall out.

I breathed a sigh of relief. We're on the same page.

But then the author made another point, one that I strongly agree with. "At some point, we just need to get rid of rocks."

Ouch. Now we're touching a nerve. We just can't do everything. Some of us (I would bet most of us) have bitten off more than we can chew. And to be faithful stewards of the time God has granted us, we're going to have to start saying no.

And for a lot of us, that's one of the hardest things we'll ever do.

The article comes from a blog called Life as a Steward: Christian Time Management. It looks really good. Please understand, I haven't read every article on there, so this is not a blanket endorsement -- but what I saw looked very helpful. To check it out, CLICK HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment