Friday, September 7, 2012

"Weird"


This Sunday I'm starting a new series called, WEIRD (Because Normal isn't Working). It's based on a book of the same name by Pastor CRAIG GROESCHEL 

This is not Tom Cruise.
 It's Pastor Craig Groeschel.
Craig Groeschel is the founder of LIFECHURCH.TV, a very innovative church that has 14 locations in 5 different states!  They do amazing things with the Internet. People all over the world worship with them, study the scriptures with them, and hear Groeschel's sermons with them, online.

Something really cool about LifeChurch: they give away all their stuff! All their small group lessons, their children's materials, their youth materials, their drama scripts, their videos, their sermons--they give it all away free, to any other church who wants to use it.

(Before you ask: my sermons during this series will be MY sermons, not Craig's ... I'll certainly be drawing on his material, but I learned a long time ago that I can't preach another pastor's sermons as if they were my own. It just doesn't work.)

The idea behind this series is that "normal"--i.e., the way most people live and relate and handle their finances--isn't working. So it's time to be abnormal, or, as Groeschel says, "weird."  I don't know this for a fact, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Groeschel got the idea for this from his friend Dave Ramsey:


(And that reminds me: if you have not been through Financial Peace University, a new class is starting THIS SUNDAY at 5. Sign up at church Sunday morning. It's powerful. It's life-changing. Now, more than ever, we need to learn and live by these Biblical principles.)

So, one thing I'm realizing as I prepare for this series is that preaching on "Weird" in Asheville is a bit of a challenge! The concept of this series is that even though we all want to be normal, God calls us to be different (weird). But in Asheville, people want to be weird. You've seen the bumper sticker ...

 ... and you've probably seen the T-shirt:


And then just today, a Covenant member told me about a new bumper sticker he spotted. It says, "Asheville:  Where normal is weird!" 

So in Asheville, weird is normal, normal is weird, and a sermon series that calls for one above the other is bound to get confusing.

Hmmm ... Hopefully I'll figure this out by Sunday.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment