Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Blessed to Be an O-Neg Blessing

This is me at the Red Cross center in Asheville yesterday afternoon. Every Christ follower should do what I'm doing in this picture. I feel very strongly about this. Every Christ follower. 

"But," you might be saying, "I can't give blood!"

Don't worry. It's not giving blood I'm talking about. It's seeing yourself as Blessed to be a Blessing.

God has blessed me with Type O-negative blood. That makes me the universal donor. A pint of my blood can save the life of one adult, or the lives of three infants, no matter their blood type.

That's a very precious gift that courses through my veins. And I did nothing to earn it or deserve it. It's a blessing from God.

And that means it's a blessing I need to share with others. Because Christ followers aren't just blessed -- they're Blessed to be a Blessing. 

This goes back to the very beginning of God's people. When God calls Abram to become the father of the nation of Israel, God says, "I will bless you...and you will be a blessing...and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you" (Genesis 12:2-3). These words are repeated throughout Scripture in reference to God's people. The concept is foundational to what it means to belong to God. God blesses me. I bless others. Blessed to be a Blessing.

If you can give blood, I challenge you to do so--especially if you're O-neg or O-positive. But much more than that, I challenge you to look at the blessings God has placed in your life and ask yourself how God wants you to use those blessings to bless others. 

Do you have money? How are you sharing it? Do you have talents, skills, abilities? How are you using them for the good of others? Do you have a house? How do you open it to others? Do you have a car? How do you use it to provide transportation to someone who needs a ride? Or to pick up and deliver cargo that helps people in need? Do you have clothes you could give away? Do you have food you could share?

Do you have Jesus? How are you sharing him?

The old song says, "Count your blessings." Do that. But then also count the ways you're being a blessing -- to others.

BY THE WAY: Yesterday I found out that I've given over four gallons of blood over the years! I have never stopped to add it up, and I was surprised when they told me that. Wow.


No comments:

Post a Comment