Monday, April 15, 2013

On the Radio!

L-R: Mark Roberts, Domica Kincaid, Ed Cocciadiferro, and me
This past Friday I got to be on the radio, on 100.7 FM WRES-LP, "Home of the Asheville Tourists." Being on the radio was so much fun! Sitting there with the headphones on, talking into the microphone...it took me back to my college days, when I was a disc jockey on WXYC, our campus radio station. In those days, we really were disc JOCKEYS, meaning we actually played vinyl records on turntables that had to be cued up and started and mixed by hand, record by record, song by song. No mp3s or digital playlists in those days!

Anyway, I was part of a panel discussion on the ABCCM "Our Circle" program. I was there with Rev. Mark Roberts, the director of the program; Ed Cocciadiferro, an ally like myself; and Domica Kincaid, a "Circle Leader" -- a young single mother.

Domica shared her testimony of growing up in poverty--not having what other kids had, being taunted and bullied, feeling isolated, feeling hopeless. She talked about her pain, her struggles, her post-partum depression, and how she found herself sitting in her apartment not knowing what to do. 

Then she shared how Circles gave her a second chance. She learned how to use the internet, how to fill out a job application, how to interview, and how to get CNA training. And now she has a job! And she attributed her success to the relational support she received from her Circle.

Domica went on to share her goal of returning to school and getting her LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). She also said, "My biggest achievement through this program is learning to love myself--and learning that I can do it."

Awesome! Who doesn't want to be part of that?

Ed and I shared some of our experiences as allies, such as learning about the many barriers faced by people in poverty, and the joy of what we at Covenant call "relational service" -- getting personally involved rather than giving from a distance.

The show airs again on Wednesday at 11:30. If you happen to be near a radio or a computer at that time, give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment