Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sabbath

The day before yesterday (Monday) was my Sabbath. 

I'm a firm believer in the spiritual discipline of Sabbath. It's more than just a day off. It's time to rest the body, refresh the mind, restore the soul, and renew relationships.

One of the most important spiritual activities in my life is hiking. Good for the body, good for the soul. I often find that I meet God in the woods better than anywhere else. Fortunately, this Monday was a beautiful day for a hike.

I drove south on 74-A, parked on the Eastern Continental Divide, and hiked up to Ferguson Knob. I still find it hard to believe that such a beautiful place is only a few miles from my house. I took this picture with my iPhone, looking down into the community of Fairview where I live. The large mountain all the way to the left of the picture is Cedar Cliff mountain, which overlooks Covenant Community Church.

After my time of solitude, I picked up a few groceries and fixed dinner. Then I spent a rare evening at home with Lorie, just the two of us, enjoying each other's company.

So why am I telling you all this? One reason is because I wanted to show you that picture. But the main reason is to encourage you to make Sabbath a part of your life.

God intended us to live by certain rhythms. He built rhythms into the universe: The sun rises, the sun sets; the tide goes in, the tide goes out; planets rotate and revolve; the seasons change. One of the rhythms that God created is the rhythm of work and rest. One day out of every seven, you get to rest. You need to rest. You are commanded to rest!

But in our fast-paced society, we ignore the rhythms. We work all the time. Electric lights let us work late into the night. Smartphones, email, and text messages never let us get away from work.

The fact that we live in opposition to the rhythms God created is destroying us.

And the community Sabbath when businesses close and everybody rests is a thing of the past. So it's up to each one of us to figure out when we're going to STOP (the word Sabbath literally means "Stop") and take time to rest, refresh, restore, and renew.

I hope you can set aside a 24-hour period of time each week to do that. If an entire day is not possible for you, then maybe you can set aside two half days. I would encourage you to start planning right now, in the middle of the week.

For some thoughts from a Christian author who wrote a book about Sabbath, CLICK HERE.

For some ideas on how to observe Sabbath, CLICK HERE. (Note that I don't necessarily do or endorse everything on this website; nonetheless, it offers some very interesting suggestions.)

1 comment:

  1. What a great post, and reminder of what is important. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete