Monday, July 1, 2013

The First of July

It hit me this morning while I was writing the date in my devotional journal. 2013 is half over! When I go to bed tonight, the number of days left in this year will be fewer than the number of days that have already passed.

Just another reminder of the fleeting nature of TIME. I've written a lot about time in this blog. That's because it's something I struggle with A LOT. I feel busy and overwhelmed most of the time. I frequently end the day frustrated with what I have not accomplished. I wish I was more focused, more disciplined, more efficient, more productive.

Something else hit me today: As of yesterday I have completed seven years as the pastor of Covenant Community Church.  And as of today I officially begin year eight. In the United Methodist Church we pastors are appointed for one year at a time. And in the Western NC Conference, our appointment year begins on July 1.

So I've got six months left in 2013, and one more definite year at Covenant (hopefully more, but one for sure). How will I use that time? On December 31st, when I'm with my family celebrating my parents' 60th wedding anniversary, will I be looking back on these six months with gratitude to God for what's been accomplished? And on July 30th, 2014, when Year Eight comes to a close, will I be reflecting on a year of faithful and productive ministry?

Lord, I hope so. I pray so.

No comments:

Post a Comment