Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Most Beautiful Place in the World

One reason My Life in the Cloud was put on hold for awhile is because, for the last two weeks of July, I was in Hawai'i.

It's the most beautiful place in the world.

Where else can you find 14,000-foot mountains sloping down into beautiful bays of crystal clear water?  Where else can you see waves crashing into the air against a shoreline of black lava rock? Where else do you see the kinds of trees, shrubs, and flowers growing all over the place that you see here? Where else can you strap a mask to your face, stick a snorkel in your mouth, swim out just a little ways from the beach, and see a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a?



Ah, the humuhumunukunukuapua'a. (Say who-moo, who-moo, noo-koo, noo-koo, ah-poo-ah-ah.) It's the state fish of Hawai'i. The name means "great fish with a nose like a pig." Truly one of God's most beautiful creatures.

And so, you didn't hear a whole lot from me on this blog last month. 'Cause when you're in the most beautiful place in the world, the last thing you want to do is stare at a computer screen. Or look at your iPhone.

My kids posted pictures on Instagram, kept up with Facebook, and texted back and forth with their friends on the mainland.

But me -- I wanted to spend every moment just experiencing. Every sight. Every sound, every smell, every touch, every taste.

I figured I'd post pictures and blog about it later, after the trip was over. And now, after being back almost three weeks, I'm ready to share. So over the next week or two, as I have time, I'll post some of my favorite pics on this blog. Keep checking back.

(BTW -- my wife photographed the scene at the top of this post. But not the fish. We don't have a camera that good!)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to go there. We went there in the 80's and, like you, thought it was so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete