Tuesday, September 17, 2013

OMTL Day 17: "GPS"

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.
       --1 Corinthians 12:4-5

On the day I'm writing this, I'll be driving to Highlands, North Carolina. I've never been there, and I'm not sure I know the way. But not to worry: I've got a GPS! 

When I get behind the wheel, I'll press the button on the bottom of my iPhone and say, "Navigate to (the address of the place I'm going)." I'll put my iPhone in the little holder on my dashboard, and a sweet female voice will give me turn-by-turn directions. I'll follow the GPS and it will get where I'm supposed to go! 

Did you know that God has placed a GPS within you? Follow it, and it will get you where you're supposed to go. 

GPS. Gifts, Passions, and Struggles. Together they form a unique roadmap that reveals God's direction for your life. 

Gifts: Both the natural talents you were born with, and the spiritual gifts that God empowered you with when you gave your life to Christ. Your natural talents might include singing, baking, woodworking, fixing cars... Your spiritual gifts might include...

  • Administration: the ability to organize people and resources to accomplish God's will)
  • Teaching: the ability to explain Biblical truth in a way that others can understand
  • Encouragement: the ability to lift up others who are struggling
  • Serving: the ability to walk into a situation, see what needs to be done, and do it cheerfully and without any need for recognition. 
You can take an online spiritual gifts inventory here

Passions: What gets your heart racing? What do you love doing so much that when you're doing it you lose all track of time? What need or cause or God-honoring activity occupies your thoughts constantly, maybe even keeping you awake at night? 

What are your passions? 

Your passions are not an accident. God has planted them within you. They are part God's plan for your life. 

Struggles: I don't believe God causes times of pain and struggle--but I do believe He He allows them -- and I know for a fact He uses them.

One way God uses our struggles is to bring us closer to Himself -- to help us learn to depend on Him. Another way God uses our struggles is to bring us closer to others. God can use my struggles to help someone else who is going through the same thing. 

What are your struggles? How could you use what you have learned and experienced to help someone else? 

Turn on the GPS that God has placed within you by looking at your Gifts, Passions, and Struggles. Listen for the guiding Voice that you hear. Follow it, and you will get where you're supposed to go. 

TODAY'S CHALLENGE: 
Don't over think this. Go with gut instincts. First, pray. Then make a list of your Gifts (both natural and spiritual). Then your Passions. And finally, your Struggles. After you've written these down, look at your lists and ask God to show you what He wants you to do. If you feel utterly confused, then ask God to show you in His time. Put the list away, go through your day, and see what thoughts come into your mind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment