Friday, September 27, 2013

OMTL Day 27: "Starfish"

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
       --Romans 12:1-2

You've probably heard the story. A young boy is walking along the beach. The tide has come in and gone back out, leaving thousands of starfish washed up on the beach. They'll die if they don't get back into the water. 

And so the little boy starts picking up the starfish one by one and putting them back into the ocean. Eventually a businessman comes along and sees what he's doing. "Son, let me tell you," he says. "You're doing a noble thing, but you can't save all these starfish. There are thousands of them. The son's getting hotter and they're all going to die. You might as well run along and play. You really can't make a difference here." 

At which point the boy picks up another starfish and flings it into the water--and then looks at the man and says, "It made a difference to that one." 

The needs of the world are overwhelming. Hunger. Poverty. Epidemics. Natural Disasters. Countless people who have never had a chance to experience God's love in Jesus Christ. Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands in despair. There are so many needs. How can I possibly make a difference? 

But here's the thing: Even if I can only help one person--to that person, it makes all the difference in the world. 

I love this quote from Edward Everett Hale: 
I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
Part of "Leaving Boldly" is leaving behind a legacy. Making a difference with your days on earth. An important key to making a difference is found in today's Scripture. Offer yourself to God. Become a living sacrifice. Let God guide you to the "Starfish" that He wants you to save. 

TODAY'S CHALLENGE: 
First, offer your body to God as a living sacrifice, to be used by Him. Then, be on the lookout for one person that you can help. You can't do everything--but you can do something. Find that something and do it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment