Sunday, September 8, 2013

OMTL Day 8: "Kick Start"

I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.
        --Ephesians 1:19-20

Lots of people in Asheville ride motorcycles. With the Blue Ridge Parkway and the beautiful, twisty mountain roads, our area is a perfect place to ride. 

Some years ago, I decided I wanted to be a biker, so I took the North Carolina Basic Motorcycle Safety class. In this class, I would learn how to ride a motorcycle, something I had never done before. And then if I passed the class, I would be able to get my motorcycle license from the DMV. 

I didn't pass the class. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since.

It's probably for the best. I'm not a great driver. Every one of our cars has a mark on it somewhere from where I've backed into something or scraped something. It's not that I'm reckless. I just don't always pay good attention. And on a motorcycle, that can be deadly. 

So I don't ride a motorcycle. But if I did, I would be sitting on an amazing source of power every time I went out to ride. It's right there at your fingertips. All you have to do is twist that throttle with your right hand, and ZOOM... 

Today's Scripture says that, whether you ride a motorcycle or not, if you're a Christ follower, you have an amazing source of power available to you. The same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead. It's "right at your fingertips," so to speak. All you have to do is reach for it. 

But here's the thing. Many of us go through life "pushing our motorcycles" in our own strength instead of using that kick starter to crank up the engine and take advantage of that source of power. 

Imagine you're on the Blue Ridge Parkway pushing, rather than riding, your motorcycle. You're not going to get very far. Same with life. We can push through in our own strength--and get almost nowhere. Or we can tap into the power available to us in Christ--and go places we never imagined. 

TODAY'S CHALLENGE:
Are you living life full throttle, riding on the power God gives to those who believe in Christ and depend completely on Him? Or are you trying to do it all on your own--pushing your motorcycle, depending on yourself, working and sweating, but getting nowhere? Think of a specific situation in your life where you need to depend on God rather than yourself. Then hand it over to God in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment