Thursday, May 22, 2014

Moving

As of July 1, I will no longer be the pastor of Covenant Community Church. 

As I write that sentence, I am filled with emotion. Different emotions, all of them powerful. 

I'm excited about my new appointment to Main Street United Methodist Church in Kernersville, NC

But I'm also grieving as I prepare to leave one of the most wonderful churches I've ever had the privilege to serve. 

I'm extremely happy to be moving back to the Piedmont Triad area (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) where my parents, Lorie's mother, my sister and her family, and our daughter Mary all live. 

But I'm sad to be leaving these beautiful mountains where I've spent many hours hiking, biking, and drinking in the wonder of God's creation. 

I informed the congregation of Covenant of this change through a detailed letter that explains how and why it came about. The letter also gives some information about our United Methodist appointment system. You can read it here.  

My last Sunday to preach at Covenant will be June 1. My first Sunday to preach at Main Street will be July 13. In between I'll be spending a week at the Davidson Clergy Center getting myself renewed, refreshed, and re-tooled. I'll also be attending the annual meeting of the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church.  

And in between those two things, I'll be packing and moving and trying to sell my house. 

One thing I must say--the people of Covenant have been WONDERFUL through all of this. Very positive, and very supportive. One more example of what a great church this is. 

I will miss you, Covenant.

1 comment:

  1. Good Day Claude . . . your 'headline' takes me back to the tee shirts we wore in 2006: Don't go to Church, Be the Church. I modified my tee, Don't JUST go to . . . That shirt, and the small wooden cross that you distributed on the first Sunday of 2007, have traveled with me from WNC to the Piedmont, and now to Lancaster County. Those reminders, and your leadership, will always be with me. Best wishes as you let God continue to flow through you in a new location, Jim

    ReplyDelete