Monday, June 16, 2014

Boxes, Boxes, Everywhere

Ah, moving. 

I grew up in the home of a United Methodist Pastor, and then I became one. So I've got this moving thing down pat. 

Actually, I've been quite fortunate when it comes to United Methodist moving. When I was a kid we lived in the small town of Norwood, NC. I could walk to school, walk to town, hang out at the soda shop, ride bikes to my friends' houses. It was a great place to be a young boy. 

Then in my teenage years we lived in Greensboro. Lots to do there. Concerts--I saw Elton John, Chicago, ELO, Ted Nugent, and Queen at the Greensboro Coliseum. I went to a big high school and took courses you couldn't get in a small town. I acted in plays. I sang Handel's Messiah in War Memorial Auditorium with 200 voices and a full orchestra. I took my dates to restaurants and movie theaters--we had plenty to choose from. It was a great place to be a young man. 

When I became a pastor myself, my first appointment was in Charlotte. We ended up living there for eleven years. 

Then I went to the tiny town of Tyro in Davidson County. A great place to raise two kids in elementary and middle school. And we stayed there for six years. 

And then to my current appointment in beautiful Asheville, where my son met his wife, and my kids graduated from one of the best high schools in the state. It was here that Lorie and I became empty nesters, and found that we had more time to enjoy all the cool things to do in this awesome place! 

It was here that I got to serve one of the best churches in the Western NC Conference. A truly unique and unusual church. 

And we got to stay in Asheville for eight years!

So I'm blessed. In 25 years of pastoral ministry, this is only the third time I've had to move.


I'm also blessed that I'm married to the most organized person on the face of the planet. Do you see the color coded stickers in the upper right-hand side of the boxes? Each color represents a room in the new house. Lorie's got it all mapped out.

Every morning Lorie gives me a detailed to-do list of what I need to sort/pack/give away. Some husbands might balk at that, but I like the fact that I don't have to think about it. 

I love to read, but man those books are heavy!
I have to admit that I'm starting to get worried, though. Will we get it all done? Will we be ready when the moving truck arrives on July 1? Lorie has 32 grant applications due that day. Thirty-two! And my office is still a total wreck. Books, files, CDs and DVDs scattered everywhere disorganized, and still a fair amount of paperwork and expense reports and stuff I have to take care of before I leave. 

So I better get back to work...

NOTE: The liquor boxes in these pictures are NOT MINE! A very nice church member, protecting my pastoral identity, went to the ABC store and got them for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment