Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Granddad

























The couple in the picture are my son David and his wife Lauren. 

The pictures they're holding are ultrasounds of their baby. 

Their baby. My grandchild. 

You have no idea how strange it feels to say that. I'm going to be a grandfather. I knew this day would come eventually, but I never dreamed it would be so soon. 

I've heard many grandparents go on and on about how much they love their grandchildren. How much fun they are. I've heard this line more than once: "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your kids." 

What kind of granddad will I be? I hope I'll be the kind that the grand kids want to see ... not because I give them dollar bills ... but because they laugh and have fun and feel loved unconditionally whenever they're around me. 

I want to be the kind of grandfather that my father and my father-in-law have been to my kids. 

May is going to be a big month. Not only is the baby coming, but Lauren's sister Lindsay is getting married (hopefully not on the same day!).

Congratulations to James and Carolanne Donaldson (Lauren's parents) who, if all goes well, will become grandparents and see their other child married in the same month. Congratulations to my wife Lorie, who is excited as all get out. Congratulations to David and Lauren who are about to embark on the most exciting adventure of their lives. 

And congratulations to that baby, who's going to have the best parents a kid ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment